Saturday, April 01, 2006

Embracing The Pigeon Hole.



Ahh, the casting pigeon hole - just the sort of thing we're taught bravely to fight against at drama school. I was raised on a diet of playing mainly men and old ladies, which I embraced fully and enjoyed thoroughly. However did it fully prepare me for professional life?

For years I've struggled to find and then accept the pigeon hole I sit in and I suspect I'm not the only actor to do so. Years ago I was so upset with with the offers I was receiving (topless glamour and party girl piffle) that I cut all my hair off and dyed it red in a young attempt to be taken seriously in this show called Biz. Needless to say it was not the most successful of protests.

I've discovered that the older I get, the bigger and more fitting my pigeon hole becomes. In fact I've just decorated (with a little help from Ikea). My party girl has grown into bitch next door and topless glamour has morphed into sex kitten wearing comfortable shoes - of course growing my hair back made moving back in much easier.

Now, feeling finally settled in my own skin, I'm happy not to covert my neighbor's part. Recently I was asked to play Lorraine Chase to my audition partners Glenda Jackson (a bizarre coupling if ever there was one) and rather than being slightly miffed as I once would have been, I smiled to myself as I finally knew exactly what the casting director wanted from me. Even better than this, it was natural.

And so to summarise, until the acting world wakes up and realises that I too have undiscovered skills, I have a very comfortable PoƄng (catalogue page:114) to recline in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment and don't forget to tell your friends about The Actress Outside!