Friday, July 02, 2010

The Producers Of No Imagination Award Goes To...

...Calendar Girls!


I'm in the car with Joan going to rehearsals having our usual morning moan about the industry when she tells me that WEATHERGIRL Sian Lloyd is to play Celia in Calendar Girls....  Good job she was driving as I think I would've crashed the car! How does a weathergirl get cast as an actress? What is wrong with these producers? Can they not find a proper actress or do they just don't care anymore? Anyone will do?


As you can tell I'm a little riled up! I found the interview online (see link) where the undeniably lovely Sian was quoted  as saying: "I'm sure I will be nervous, but sometimes in life you have to push yourself." Which is all very well Sian but if I were you I'd be more worried about how you are going to make it through a 2 hour play than taking your kit off. Stripping is easy, untrained acting is not. Now i'm not denying that presenting the weather is a difficult task, but it's hardly preparation for a full length play is it?


The original west end cast for Calendar Girls was a great cast full of classy British actresses. So Mr Producer just how do you get from Patricia Hodge to Charlie Dimmock? As it seems that England has run out of decent actresses (it must have done if we're converting presenters and general "names") I thought I'd add some suggestions to the producers of my own (I expect some have already been approached), Outsiders feel free to add your own:

  1. Charlie Dimmock (already booked?...moving on)
  2. Tessa Sanderson
  3. Natasha Kaplinski
  4. Jennie Bond
  5. Edwina Curry
  6. Gabby Logan
  7. Paula Radcliffe
  8. Christine Hamilton
Mind you the online cast list for Calendar Girls already reads like a guest list for the daytime, utter tripe that is Loose Women - so don't get me started on that! I mean really, Jennifer Ellison????? In the W.I.?????? REALLY??????? Give me a break!



2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm hooked.....when's the next update due? !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please add me as a follower Gringo! The more I get the better! And I promise I'll write more regularly! X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment and don't forget to tell your friends about The Actress Outside!